Posted on Leave a comment

North-Central APC Forum: Over 50% of Members Unhappy with Primaries Conduct

North-Central APC Forum: Over 50% of Members Unhappy with Primaries Conduct

A significant majority of All Progressives Congress (APC) members are dissatisfied with how the party conducted its state and national assembly primaries, according to the North-Central APC Forum. The group, in a statement on Tuesday, estimated that more than half of the party’s rank and file are displeased with the exercise.

The primaries were marred by disqualifications, disputed results, irregularities, and violence, as reported by DAILY POST. Several aspirants who were screened out have challenged their disqualification, threatening legal action unless the decisions are reversed.

The forum’s chairman, Alhaji Saleh Zazzaga, said the poor handling of the primaries confirmed earlier fears that the process had been commercialized by national party officials. He alleged that most disqualified aspirants were those who refused to comply with the dictates of national officers and their cronies overseeing the exercise in various states.

“What we saw was that the process worsened daily—they disqualified those who should have been cleared and cleared those who should have been disqualified, all for selfish reasons. That’s why we warned earlier that the process had been monetized,” Zazzaga stated.

The forum also expressed dissatisfaction with the leadership of National Chairman Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, saying many members are unhappy with his running of the party. “From our findings, 50 percent of members across the country are not happy with the primaries or the national chairman,” the statement added.

Further criticizing the selection of primary election committee members, the forum said appointments were based on personal relationships rather than competence or experience. “National officers sent their cronies to states to conduct primaries, even when those individuals lacked the capacity for such sensitive tasks. Selection was purely about personal ties and willingness to do the bidding of party officials,” the statement read.

“If an aspirant refuses to follow their tune, once they see the aspirant is likely to win, they quickly announce a disqualification. That’s why there’s confusion over results in many constituencies and senatorial districts.”

Reiterating its call for party national officers to be reined in, the forum warned of a damaging crisis ahead of the general elections if the situation is not addressed. It noted that President Bola Tinubu had called for free and fair primaries, and condemned the alleged commercialization, urging national officers not to destroy the party through poor handling of the process.

Earlier, the forum had raised an alarm about the commercialization of the primaries about 24 hours before they began. The House of Representatives primaries, initially scheduled for May 15, 2026, were postponed to May 16 without explanation, a move the forum linked to the monetization of the process.

Posted on Leave a comment

PDP Chieftain Umar Sani Alleges Goodluck Jonathan Has Obtained 2027 Presidential Nomination Form

PDP Chieftain Umar Sani Alleges Goodluck Jonathan Has Obtained 2027 Presidential Nomination Form

A prominent figure within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Umar Sani, has asserted that former President Goodluck Jonathan has already secured the party’s presidential nomination form in preparation for the 2027 elections. Sani shared this information during an interview on Trust TV, emphasizing that Jonathan’s recent actions clearly signal his intent to re-enter the political arena.

Sani pointed out that in politics, tangible steps such as purchasing nomination forms are more telling than mere words. He confirmed that Jonathan has indeed completed this process and is on the verge of publicly submitting the necessary documents. According to Sani, this move underscores Jonathan’s genuine interest in contesting the presidency once again.

Addressing potential legal obstacles, Sani expressed strong confidence that any court challenges to Jonathan’s eligibility would not succeed. He argued that this issue has already been resolved through previous judicial rulings, and only a Supreme Court decision could alter that. Sani predicted that the upcoming case before Justice Peter Lifu, scheduled for May 26, would be dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction.

Furthermore, Sani dismissed the notion that Jonathan’s name is being used by loyalists for political leverage. He stated that many Nigerians still hold fond memories of Jonathan’s tenure from 2010 to 2015, when he served as the nation’s leader before being defeated by former President Muhammadu Buhari. Sani’s remarks indicate that Jonathan’s potential candidacy is being taken seriously within PDP circles.

Posted on Leave a comment

APC Primary Crisis in Ekiti North: Arise and Fasuyi Exchange Accusations Over Alleged Result Manipulation

APC Primary Crisis in Ekiti North: Arise and Fasuyi Exchange Accusations Over Alleged Result Manipulation

The internal strife within the All Progressives Congress in Ekiti North Senatorial District has escalated following the party’s primary election. Former Senator Ayodele Arise, along with Dare Owolabi, has openly challenged the results declared by the APC Senatorial Primary Election Committee, accusing the committee of rigging and inflating figures. Incumbent Senator Cyril Fasuyi, however, has dismissed these allegations, urging his opponents to concede graciously.

According to the official declaration, Senator Fasuyi secured 14,179 votes, while Senator Arise garnered 4,868. Other aspirants, Dipo Bamisaye and Dare Owolabi, received 3,694 and 2,836 votes respectively. But Arise and Owolabi claim the announced totals are fraudulent. Arise asserts that based on results from 33 wards where voting was completed, he led with 8,687 votes against Fasuyi’s 7,755 before the process was disrupted.

Arise further alleged that election officials abandoned 12 wards when it became clear he was ahead, and that officials did not show up in 10 other wards. He also pointed out that the total votes announced exceed the registered APC membership in the district, calling the figures mathematically impossible. Specifically, he cited Iludun I Ward in Ilejemeje Local Government Area, where he claims his votes were reduced in the final tally. “I won the election and I have proof. I was rigged out by the system. The result does not represent the wish of the people. What happened yesterday was fraught with irregularities, fraud, violence and intimidation,” Arise stated.

Owolabi echoed these sentiments, demanding the primary be annulled due to widespread irregularities. “The election is not fair and there were a lot of irregularities across different local governments, wards and units. We know our people, we know what they did, we know how people voted for us, and we know our people were terrorized and chased out of the venues,” he said. Despite his grievances, he urged supporters to remain calm and focus on the upcoming governorship election.

In response, Senator Fasuyi refuted all accusations, attributing his victory to his strong grassroots support and performance in office. He appealed to Arise to accept the outcome in the interest of party unity. “I want to appeal to a respected leader of our great party, Senator Arise, to accept the outcome of the primary election in good faith and join hands with us to move the party forward,” he said. As the incumbent and Director-General of Governor Biodun Oyebanji’s re-election campaign, Fasuyi questioned why anyone would expect him to lose. He maintained that the primary was conducted according to APC guidelines and urged all aggrieved members to unite for the June 20 governorship poll and the 2027 general election.

Posted on Leave a comment

Isa Pantami Withdraws from Gombe APC Governorship Primary

Isa Pantami Withdraws from Gombe APC Governorship Primary

Isa Pantami, who previously served as Nigeria’s Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, has officially stepped back from the All Progressives Congress (APC) gubernatorial primaries in Gombe State. His decision was publicly announced on Tuesday via a statement released by Barrister Ibrahim M. Attahir on behalf of the Pantamiyya Movement.

The statement highlighted that Pantami’s withdrawal stems from persistent breaches of the 2026 Electoral Act and the party’s internal directives. He specifically pointed to the APC leadership’s failure to supply essential information required to guarantee a transparent and credible primary election in Gombe State.

According to the statement, multiple letters sent by his legal team to party officials regarding these irregularities were neither acknowledged nor addressed. Pantami emphasized that in a democratic system, adherence to legal frameworks is non-negotiable, asserting that non-compliance with the Electoral Act and party guidelines undermines the legitimacy of the entire exercise.

Posted on Leave a comment

Yobe Security Council Warns Politicians, Bans Thuggery Ahead of 2027 Elections

Yobe Security Council Warns Politicians, Bans Thuggery Ahead of 2027 Elections

The Yobe State Security Council has issued a strong caution to politicians, warning them against engaging in thuggery and other violent acts as the 2027 general elections draw near. This directive was communicated by the state’s Commissioner of Police, Usman Kanfani Jibrin, during a press briefing in Damaturu after the council’s meeting on Tuesday.

CP Jibrin emphasized the need for peaceful political conduct, noting that two APC primaries for the House of Representatives and Senate had already been conducted without incident. He stressed that Yobe is a frontline state where any form of lawlessness could escalate, and security agencies would not hesitate to act against offenders.

“Thuggery and brigandage will not be tolerated from anyone. There are established rules and regulations, and anyone who feels politically shortchanged should follow the proper channels to address grievances,” the commissioner stated.

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, retired Brigadier General Dahiru Abdulsalam, called on residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious individuals to authorities. He disclosed that military aircraft have been patrolling across the state due to ongoing operations against insurgents, and displaced fighters may be infiltrating communities.

“We urge the public to watch out for strange faces and new arrivals, and to report them to the relevant security agencies,” Abdulsalam said, underscoring the need for cooperation between citizens and security forces to maintain peace.

Posted on Leave a comment

Dele Momodu Defends Atiku Against Amaechi’s Criticism

Dele Momodu Defends Atiku Against Amaechi's Criticism

Prominent journalist and former presidential candidate Dele Momodu has weighed in on the escalating war of words between ex-Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. In a recent interview, Momodu urged Amaechi to exercise restraint and avoid personal attacks, as both politicians are vying for the African Democratic Congress (ADC) ticket ahead of the 2027 elections.

Amaechi had earlier criticized Atiku in a Trust TV interview, accusing him of opposing presidential zoning. Reports suggest ADC leaders are pressuring Amaechi to step down for Atiku, but the former governor declined, expressing confidence in winning the primaries through a competitive process.

Speaking on Channels TV, Momodu said, “Amaechi needs to cool his temper. A potential president must display maturity and refrain from insulting Atiku, who remains a formidable aspirant.” He emphasized that Atiku’s political experience and national appeal make him a tough opponent in any electoral contest.

The ADC primary is shaping up to be a high-stakes battle, with both candidates refusing to yield. Momodu’s intervention highlights the growing tensions within the party as it prepares for the 2027 general elections.

Posted on Leave a comment

Violence Erupts at Lagos APC Primaries: Commissioner Stabbed, Hospitalized

Violence Erupts at Lagos APC Primaries: Commissioner Stabbed, Hospitalized

Chaos engulfed the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries in Lagos State on Monday when suspected political thugs attacked the Lagos State Commissioner for Wealth Creation and Employment, Akinyemi Bankole Ajigbotafe, in Alimosho Local Government Area. The commissioner, widely known as “AB Ajigbotafe,” suffered serious injuries and was rushed to the hospital after losing a significant amount of blood.

According to sources, the attack occurred during a stakeholders’ meeting called to resolve disputes arising from the party’s House of Representatives primary election in Lagos West. Tensions had been building since Saturday’s primaries, which saw clashes between supporters of former Mosan-Okunola Local Council Development Area chairman, Olabisi Adebajo (alias ABISCO), and incumbent legislator Ganiyu Ayuba.

Witnesses reported that armed thugs invaded the venue with machetes and other weapons, triggering panic and sporadic gunfire. The commissioner, believed to be aligned with one of the rival factions, was targeted in what many described as an assassination attempt. “The assailants failed to kill him, but he sustained severe cuts, his car was vandalized, and security personnel were also critically injured,” a party insider revealed in a message circulated among APC members.

Medical staff worked tirelessly to stabilize Ajigbotafe, who underwent multiple blood transfusions due to heavy blood loss. The incident has sent shockwaves through the Lagos APC, particularly in Alimosho, a key stronghold for the party. Many members have condemned the escalating violence, intimidation, and thuggery within local party structures.

Debo Awosheye, a Certified Protection Officer and concerned APC member, issued a statement urging party leaders to address the crisis urgently. “These acts are unacceptable and threaten our party’s unity and reputation. No political goal justifies such brutality,” he said. Another party member labeled the attack “barbaric” and called for immediate intervention, stating, “Attacking a sitting commissioner in public and causing him to bleed profusely is utterly unacceptable.”

Posted on Leave a comment

Rivers APC Primaries: 33 Aspirants Cleared, 65 Disqualified Ahead of Polls

Rivers APC Primaries: 33 Aspirants Cleared, 65 Disqualified Ahead of Polls

The Rivers State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the finalized roster of approved candidates for its House of Assembly primaries, set to take place on Wednesday, May 20.

Out of 98 individuals who initially showed interest in the race, only 33 made the cut, with the remaining 65 excluded from the contest.

Notably, all aspirants believed to be allied with Governor Siminalayi Fubara were disqualified, including three current lawmakers in the state assembly.

On the other hand, candidates linked to Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, were permitted to proceed.

In an earlier list released last week, the party had given disqualified aspirants the chance to submit appeals for review at the APC secretariat.

Though several affected persons did file appeals, none succeeded, as the party stood by its original selection unchanged.

Posted on Leave a comment

Ex-Ebonyi Governor Sam Egwu to Lead NDC Screening Committee for 2027 Polls

Ex-Ebonyi Governor Sam Egwu to Lead NDC Screening Committee for 2027 Polls

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has named former Ebonyi State Governor, Senator Sam Egwu, as the chairman of its screening committee for aspirants eyeing presidential, governorship, senatorial, and House of Representatives slots in the 2027 elections.

This announcement was made in a statement on Tuesday by the party’s National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu. According to the statement, the 17-member committee will be inaugurated at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, as part of the party’s ongoing preparations for the next general elections.

Egwu, who served two terms as governor of Ebonyi State and later as a senator, will head the panel responsible for vetting candidates seeking to contest under the NDC banner.

The party also appointed its National Legal Adviser, Reuben Egwuaba, as the committee’s secretary, while Babatunde Ali will serve as deputy chairman. Other members include Buba Galadima, Mohammed Takori, Daniel Onifade, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Dr. Osusu Osusu, Chief Asukewe Ikoawaji, Prof. Udenta Udenta, Frederick E. Owotorufa, Hannatu Tanko, Dogo Shammar, Sir Henry Obaze, Clement Agiagie, and Fatima Abba.

The NDC noted that the committee comprises party leaders, professionals, and members of its National Working Committee, chosen to oversee the screening process for aspirants contesting various positions in the 2027 elections.

This development comes as the party intensifies its preparations for the next electoral cycle. Recently, the NDC has adopted consensus arrangements for some of its primaries in certain parts of the country to minimize internal conflicts and strengthen party unity ahead of the polls.

Posted on Leave a comment

APC Elders Accuse Party Leaders of Plot to Rig Senate Primary in Adamawa Central

APC Elders Accuse Party Leaders of Plot to Rig Senate Primary in Adamawa Central

Elders within the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa Central have raised concerns over an alleged scheme to force a preferred candidate on the party. This comes after the senatorial primary, originally scheduled for Monday, failed to hold as planned.

The group, operating under the banner of Central Senatorial Zone APC Elders, has petitioned President Bola Tinubu. They warn that certain party figures in the state are deliberately delaying the process to pave the way for a handpicked aspirant.

Prior to the primary date, the state APC chapter issued a statement calling off the exercise, citing logistical issues. The notice, released by Publicity Secretary Victor Dogo, has been met with skepticism by many party members.

The elders allege that Governor Ahmadu Fintiri, the leader of the party in the state, is behind the plan to impose a candidate. Their main suspicion is that the beneficiary is the current Senator Aminu Iya Abbas.

Iya Abbas had previously been known to be eyeing the governorship position rather than another term in the Senate. Speaking at a press conference in Yola on Tuesday, Alhaji Mohammed Song, the group’s spokesperson, questioned the sudden shift. He noted that Iya Abbas had campaigned across all local government areas for the governorship, only to later be presented as a senatorial aspirant after the screening.

Song highlighted that Yola North Local Government Area, the heart of the capital, has never had a senator in the current democratic era. The elders had thrown their support behind Alhaji Aliyu Abbati, a candidate from that LGA. According to Song, Abbati is the only aspirant who has engaged with all seven local governments in the zone, while others have not shown up. He appealed to President Tinubu to intervene, warning that such underhand tactics could damage the party’s prospects and the President’s chances in the upcoming general elections.

In response, Governor Fintiri has denied the allegations, asserting that the primary process has been generally fair. He attributed any minor issues to human error, which he says is normal in such exercises.