Posted on Leave a comment

INEC Pledges Full Backing for Media Ahead of Osun Governorship Poll

INEC Pledges Full Backing for Media Ahead of Osun Governorship Poll

With the Osun State governorship election scheduled for August 15 drawing near, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has assured journalists of its unwavering support. The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Osun, Mrs. Oluwatoyin Babalola, gave this commitment during a meeting with the Osun Online Publishers Association (OOPA) in Osogbo on Monday.

Mrs. Babalola emphasized that the media plays a vital role in ensuring a credible election. She noted that without the press, society would lack accurate information, especially in countering misinformation and disinformation that often plague electoral processes. She promised to collaborate closely with media professionals to guarantee a free, fair, transparent, and inclusive election.

Highlighting the media’s importance, she stated, ‘Your visit today is not just a courtesy call. We will work together. We have moved beyond relying on unverified reports. The media is essential for voter education given its broad reach, and it ensures accurate information flows from INEC to the public, reducing reliance on gossip.’

She also stressed that the media promotes peaceful coexistence and tolerance, and INEC will fulfill its duty to provide timely information to journalists. On the issue of election result tampering, she warned that it attracts a jail term with no option of a fine, urging media organizations to register for accreditation to operate freely on election day.

Additionally, Mrs. Babalola disclosed that security agencies have assured INEC of full cooperation in safeguarding lives and property during the election period.

Earlier, OOPA Chairman Abioye Lawrence welcomed the REC and urged her to include media practitioners in the electoral process and deliver a credible election on August 15.

Posted on Leave a comment

APC Governors Forum Not in Crisis, Says Kaduna Governor Uba Sani

APC Governors Forum Not in Crisis, Says Kaduna Governor Uba Sani

Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, has dismissed claims of a serious crisis within the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), describing recent developments as a minor disagreement that has since been resolved. Speaking on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’ program on Monday, Sani, who serves as the Vice Chairman of the PGF, addressed the reported factionalization involving Chairman Hope Uzodimma.

Reports had emerged that Uzodimma was removed as chairman last Thursday, with Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun and Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq allegedly leading a breakaway faction. However, Sani emphasized that the issue was not significant and has been amicably resolved. He noted that no formal change of leadership had occurred, as he would have assumed the role if such a change had taken place.

Sani stated that the public should not expect further developments on the matter, as the disagreement has been fully addressed. The PGF, which comprises governors elected under the All Progressives Congress (APC), has faced internal tensions in recent weeks, but the Kaduna governor’s comments suggest unity has been restored.

Posted on Leave a comment

Farah Dagogo Secures ADC Governorship Form for 2027 Rivers Election

Farah Dagogo Secures ADC Governorship Form for 2027 Rivers Election

Former federal lawmaker Farah Dagogo has officially entered the race for Rivers State governor in 2027 after picking up the nomination form from the African Democratic Congress (ADC). His associates completed the form collection in Abuja earlier this week.

Dr. Dagogo outlined a vision to transform Rivers into a top economic and development hub in Nigeria. He emphasized a governance model built on four pillars: Diplomacy, Information, Security, and Economy (DISE). A full policy document is expected soon.

Youth empowerment is a cornerstone of his plan. He proposes a legally backed Youth Entrepreneurship Development Trust Fund, allocating at least 5% of the state’s annual capital budget to support young business owners. Additionally, he aims to integrate STEAM education—Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics—into the school curriculum to prepare students for modern jobs.

On security, Dagogo pledged transparent use of funds to create a safe environment for residents and investors. He stressed that his administration would be inclusive, serving all Rivers people regardless of their background or political leanings. “My mission is to serve, not to rule,” he said, adding that service empowers citizens and strengthens democracy.

Dagogo expressed confidence in securing the ADC ticket and winning the general election, citing widespread grassroots support. His political journey includes a previous bid for the PDP governorship ticket in 2023, which was thwarted by his arrest during the screening process ordered by then-Governor Nyesom Wike. He spent over 60 days in detention before being granted bail and was eventually acquitted of all charges in July 2024 after a lengthy legal battle.

Posted on Leave a comment

Why My Daughter Urged Me to Partner with Peter Obi in 2023 – Kwankwaso

Why My Daughter Urged Me to Partner with Peter Obi in 2023 – Kwankwaso

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State and the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) presidential candidate in the 2023 elections, has shared a personal story about his daughter’s advice. During an interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time program on Monday, Kwankwaso revealed that his own daughter encouraged him to collaborate with Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi.

According to Kwankwaso, many Nigerian political leaders are out of touch with the aspirations of the country’s youth, particularly in the age of social media. He noted that younger Nigerians prioritize competent leadership over the religious and ethnic considerations that older politicians often highlight.

Kwankwaso stated that even within his own home, his daughter expressed the growing desire for political cooperation and effective governance. He recounted, “During the 2023 election, in my own house, my daughter was telling me to go and work with Peter Obi. She didn’t say she was obedient, but she wanted us to collaborate.”

He further observed that many young Nigerians are united in their quest for credible leadership capable of tackling the country’s challenges. Kwankwaso emphasized, “People talk about religion and ethnicity, especially those at our level and age, but younger people are looking for the right leadership for this country. And I believe they are absolutely correct.”

Kwankwaso’s remarks highlight a generational divide in political perspectives and underscore the increasing demand for issue-based politics among Nigerian youth.

Posted on Leave a comment

Kwankwaso Opens Up on Alliance with Peter Obi for 2027

Kwankwaso Opens Up on Alliance with Peter Obi for 2027

In a recent interview, former NNPP presidential candidate Rabiu Kwankwaso explained the reasoning behind his decision to partner with Peter Obi ahead of the 2027 elections. He emphasized that the North is adopting a strategy reminiscent of the political collaborations seen during the era of Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

Kwankwaso noted that during the Second Republic, President Shehu Shagari successfully worked with leaders from the South East. He described the people of the South East as friends of the North, expressing a desire for their regions to cooperate.

Drawing from his own experience as Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Kwankwaso highlighted his positive working relationship with the Speaker. He stated that after careful consideration with northern leadership, they identified Peter Obi as the most capable and honest partner to move the nation forward, leading to the consensus to form an alliance.

Posted on Leave a comment

Kwankwaso Expresses Joy Over NDC’s Decision to Zon Presidency to South

Kwankwaso Expresses Joy Over NDC's Decision to Zon Presidency to South

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, the former Kano State governor and a prominent figure in the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), has explained why he is elated about the party’s choice to zone its presidential ticket to the southern region. He emphasized that this move was driven by considerations of fairness, equity, and the need for political stability in Nigeria.

During an interview on Monday with Arise Television’s Prime Time program, Kwankwaso shared his satisfaction with joining the NDC, describing its members as kindred spirits dedicated to solving the nation’s political problems. He noted that the party’s leadership, including former Bayelsa State governor Seriake Dickson and former Anambra State governor Peter Obi, collectively resolved to keep the presidency in the South for the next four years before rotating it back to the North.

Kwankwaso stated that northern members who recently joined the party readily accepted this arrangement because it addresses the ongoing disputes over power rotation in the country. He further connected the current zoning debate to the confusion that arose after the death of former President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua. According to him, while some Nigerians believe the presidency should go to the North, the NDC deemed it more suitable to support a southern candidate to ease political tensions and maintain equilibrium.

Expressing his happiness, Kwankwaso said, “Let me say that I’m so happy that I joined this party, the NDC. I believe so far, so good, we are doing well. I met people that I can call like minds, ranging from the leader of the party, Senator Dickson, former governor of Bayelsa State, and of course, Mr Peter Obi, former governor of Anambra State, and many other leaders who are today in our party.”

He added that from the very beginning, they sat together, assessed the country’s situation, and made key decisions, including the zoning of the presidency to the South for four years. Kwankwaso stressed that they are loyal party members and recognized the party’s contemplation of this zoning even before they joined. He concluded by noting that the best way forward is to take the presidency to the South to eliminate the confusion introduced by Yar’Adua’s death, even though the South has historically spent more years in power since 1999.

Posted on Leave a comment

Kwankwaso Promises Smooth Collaboration with Obi Ahead of 2027 Elections

Kwankwaso Promises Smooth Collaboration with Obi Ahead of 2027 Elections

A prominent chieftain of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Rabiu Kwankwaso, has expressed confidence in forging a productive partnership with former presidential candidate Peter Obi as the 2027 elections approach. During a recent appearance on Arise Television’s Prime Time program, Kwankwaso emphasized his historical ability to work harmoniously with colleagues from different backgrounds.

Reflecting on his tenure as governor of Kano State, Kwankwaso noted that he maintained a cordial relationship with his deputy, which culminated in a seamless transition of power. He argued that political leaders often allow greed to disrupt potential alliances, whereas his past experiences demonstrate that there is ample room for collaboration without conflict. Drawing parallels to Nigeria’s earlier republics, he invoked the examples of Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello, as well as Shehu Shagari and southeastern leaders, as models of interregional cooperation.

Kwankwaso dismissed concerns about regional tensions influencing his proposed relationship with Obi, asserting that such divisions are unnecessary. He pledged that he and Obi would establish a relationship founded on mutual respect and shared goals, free from the infighting that has hindered many political partnerships in the past.

Posted on Leave a comment

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso: Why I Left ADC Alongside Peter Obi

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso: Why I Left ADC Alongside Peter Obi

Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State, has clarified that his departure from the African Democratic Congress (ADC) with Peter Obi was not due to any conflict with former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. He emphasized that political maneuvering is a normal part of democracy and should not be misconstrued as personal enmity.

During an interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time program on Monday, Kwankwaso explained that the decision to exit the ADC stemmed from unresolved internal challenges within the party. He noted that these issues could hinder the party’s ability to successfully field candidates in upcoming elections.

“Peter Obi and I left ADC not because we are at odds with Atiku or anyone else. We recognized that the party currently faces three major problems that we believe are very hard to fix in time for candidate nominations,” Kwankwaso stated.

He further expressed uncertainty about whether the ADC would ultimately be able to present candidates for future ballots. Kwankwaso urged Nigerians to view political contests as strategic games rather than personal fights, emphasizing that he holds no grudges against any political figure.

Reflecting on past primary elections, Kwankwaso recalled that he had previously competed alongside Atiku and other politicians without hostility. “In 2015, we had a primary in Lagos. Buhari was first, I was second, Atiku was third, Rochas Okorocha was fourth, and the late Isaiah was fifth. In 2019, Atiku won the primary, and I served as his coordinator for the North. We worked together. Politics is just like a game. I am not fighting anyone, and I do not expect anyone to fight me,” he said.

Posted on Leave a comment

Rabiu Kwankwaso Urges Atiku to Wait for 2027 Election Results

Rabiu Kwankwaso Urges Atiku to Wait for 2027 Election Results

In a recent interview on Arise Television’s Prime Time, Rabiu Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano State, responded to remarks made by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar regarding his political influence. Atiku had previously claimed that Kwankwaso’s popularity is confined to Kano State. Kwankwaso dismissed this assertion, advising patience and suggesting that the outcome of the upcoming general elections would provide clarity.

Kwankwaso stated, “Let’s wait and see the election. I have no issue with that, and I think we have gone past that level now.” He emphasized that he is currently aligned with the Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC), while Atiku remains with the African Democratic Congress (ADC). He expressed his well wishes for Atiku’s party but challenged the notion that votes would be split in Kano, urging critics to be patient.

“You see, anybody who is talking about or asking questions about whether our votes will split in Kano is not patient. Let’s wait for the election and see whether our votes are split in Kano or not,” he added, reinforcing his confidence in the electoral process.

Posted on Leave a comment

Taraba Government Allocates Over N1.8 Billion for 2026 Exam Fees

Taraba Government Allocates Over N1.8 Billion for 2026 Exam Fees

In a major push for educational advancement, the Taraba State Government has disbursed more than N1.8 billion to cover registration costs for students sitting for the 2026 external examinations. The announcement was made by the Commissioner for Secondary, Technical and Vocational Education, Augustina Godwin, during a cheque presentation ceremony held in Jalingo on Monday.

This initiative is designed to broaden access to education and alleviate the financial strain on families across the state. Commissioner Godwin revealed that N1,613,646,250 has been allocated for 44,133 candidates taking the National Examinations Council (NECO) exams. Additionally, N53,865,000 has been set aside for 1,570 students registered for the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB) tests.

Furthermore, the government has released N196,822,190 to facilitate the registration of 38,956 pupils for the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE). The commissioner highlighted that these actions underscore the administration’s dedication to enhancing educational quality and investing strategically in the sector’s growth.

She emphasized ongoing efforts to revitalize education through exam sponsorships, infrastructure improvements, teacher training, and creating better learning environments. Godwin also called on students, educators, and school leaders to honor this investment by upholding discipline, commitment, and integrity, particularly by avoiding exam malpractices.

The commissioner praised Governor Agbu Kefas for prioritizing children’s futures through timely payment of examination fees, noting that this policy has consistently boosted enrollment and retention rates in Taraba schools. Officials from NECO and NABTEB in the state also lauded the governor, stating that the free registration policy has led to a significant increase in candidate participation compared to previous years.