Posted on Leave a comment

Kwara South Rejects Security Claims, Demands Inclusion in 2027 APC Primaries

Kwara South Rejects Security Claims, Demands Inclusion in 2027 APC Primaries

Elder Olaitan Oyin-Zubair, representing the Joint Security Watch of Kwara South, has vehemently denied that banditry and kidnapping have made large parts of the region uninhabitable or reduced its voter base. In a statement on Sunday, Oyin-Zubair argued that such narratives are false and are being used for political manipulation ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primaries.

He clarified that insecurity in Kwara is largely due to ungoverned forests and porous borders, and that perpetrators are not from Kwara South. The group stressed that these criminals do not reflect the community’s values. They noted that violence has mainly affected remote routes and poorly policed settlements, and that proactive security measures have successfully prevented attacks and allowed displaced families to return to farming.

Citing election data, Oyin-Zubair highlighted Kwara South’s political importance: the APC achieved a 68% success rate there in 2019 and 2023, compared to just 35% in Kwara Central, which is promoting the exclusion narrative. The group detailed ongoing security efforts, including community patrols, ward-level early warning systems, aerial surveillance, and joint operations with police, NSCDC, and local vigilantes across Irepodun, Ekiti, Oke-Ero, Isin, and Offa.

“Kwara South is protecting its territory, its people, and is restoring normalcy and economic life. We will not allow insecurity to be used as a tool for political marginalization,” Oyin-Zubair declared. He urged the public to rely on verified information and affirmed that Kwara South remains safe for living, farming, business, and voting.

Posted on Leave a comment

Cross River ADC Primaries Ready, Says New Chairman

Cross River ADC Primaries Ready, Says New Chairman

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Cross River State has announced that it is fully geared up to conduct its primaries for the 2027 general elections. This declaration comes from Dr. John Ogar, the newly elected chairman of the party in the state, who emphasized that the party is on schedule to sell nomination forms and urged interested aspirants to promptly visit the party secretariat.

Speaking in Calabar after the state congress, where a 37-member executive committee was unanimously elected through consensus, Ogar downplayed recent defections, noting that only one executive member has left. He criticized politicians who advocate for opposition and unity but later abandon coalitions, asserting that the sincere and committed members remain within the party.

Ogar vowed to elevate the party to greater achievements and dismissed reports of factionalization, insisting that the party is united. He further stressed that the congress adhered to the party’s constitution and was upheld by a court ruling affirming the state executive’s authority to organize such congresses.

Posted on Leave a comment

Peter Obi, Kwankwaso’s Departure from ADC Dashed Democratic Renewal Hopes – Ladan Salihu

Peter Obi, Kwankwaso's Departure from ADC Dashed Democratic Renewal Hopes - Ladan Salihu

A prominent figure within the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Ladan Salihu, has expressed that the withdrawal of former presidential candidates Peter Obi and Rabi’u Kwankwaso from the party significantly undermined aspirations for democratic rejuvenation in Nigeria.

Speaking during an interview on Arise Television on Sunday, Salihu, who previously served as Director-General of the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), noted that the alliance between Obi and Kwankwaso within the ADC could have forged a viable alternative for governance in the 2027 elections.

He lamented that the opposition landscape is now splintered due to conflicting political interests and personal ambitions. According to Salihu, the departure of these two leaders from the ADC dealt a severe blow to the faith Nigerians had in the party as a vehicle for political change.

“I remain a steadfast and irrevocable member of the ADC,” Salihu stated. “Nigerians placed great hope in the unity of opposition parties and movements. The Obidient movement and the Kwankwasiyya movement, along with millions of citizens, believed that our democracy would flourish only with a strong and vibrant opposition.”

He added, “When Obi and Kwankwaso were part of the ADC, the opposition was widely perceived as the platform that could restore confidence in democracy and offer a different path for the country in 2027. Unfortunately, that vision has been fractured by competing political forces and individual ambitions.”

Salihu further criticized the trend of shifting loyalties and political maneuvering, suggesting that some key players treat opposition parties as mere vehicles for personal advancement rather than instruments for collective good.

Posted on Leave a comment

Olawepo-Hashim Criticizes INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable as Unrealistic

Olawepo-Hashim Criticizes INEC's 2027 Election Timetable as Unrealistic

Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim, a former presidential contender, has strongly condemned the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) recently published schedule for the 2027 general elections. He argues that the timeline fails to reflect Nigeria’s actual political landscape and is frankly unworkable.

Speaking over the weekend, Olawepo-Hashim emphasized that the electoral calendar leaves political parties insufficient room to organize transparent primaries and internal democratic procedures. He warned that if left unchanged, the tight schedule could escalate political tensions and destabilize parties as the elections draw closer.

The Kwara-born politician also took aim at INEC for scheduling critical political events, such as party primaries, to coincide with major religious observances like the Muslim Hajj pilgrimage and the Ileya festival. “Aligning election primaries with Hajj and Ileya, which inherently come with security and mobility challenges, is completely unreasonable,” he stated.

According to Olawepo-Hashim, these periods already pose significant security and logistical hurdles. Combining them with political activities risks amplifying unrest and triggering avoidable disruptions, he cautioned. He urged INEC to reconsider the timetable to better accommodate Nigeria’s diverse realities.

Posted on Leave a comment

Aregbesola Denies Plans to Rejoin APC, Stays in ADC

Aregbesola Denies Plans to Rejoin APC, Stays in ADC

Rauf Aregbesola, the National Secretary of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), has firmly rejected any notion of returning to the All Progressives Congress (APC). Speaking to party supporters during a stakeholder gathering in Ilesa on Sunday, he clarified that such claims are baseless. The former governor of Osun State emphasized that his current party remains his political home.

Aregbesola criticized the APC-led federal government for worsening living conditions across Nigeria, citing severe hardship and economic challenges. He urged citizens to rally behind the ADC, describing it as the only viable alternative for credible governance. He stated, ‘I have no reason to rejoin the APC. The rumors are fabrications. The party’s leaders have abandoned its original vision and mission, focusing instead on failures in welfare and security.’

The ADC secretary further expressed gratitude to party members for their resilience amid attacks and intimidation. He highlighted the party’s growth and encouraged supporters to remain steadfast, promising victory through divine grace. Aregbesola also endorsed Dr. Najeem Folasayo Salaam Iwaloye as the ADC’s governorship candidate for the upcoming election, describing him as a loyal and committed leader who can restore the state’s development trajectory.

In his address, ADC governorship candidate Dr. Najeem Salaam called for unity among members. He pledged that his administration, if elected, would focus on job creation, poverty reduction, affordable housing, and addressing governance lapses experienced over the past seven and a half years. Alhaji Azeez Adesiji, the Osun ADC chairman-elect, assured that the party remains united and well-structured despite challenges. He expressed confidence in Salaam’s victory through hard work, unity, and divine support.

Adesiji announced plans for a statewide campaign covering all local government areas, nine federal constituency rallies, and two mega events in Ile-Ife and Osogbo. He thanked party leaders and members for their patience and cooperation. Stakeholders reaffirmed their dedication to ensuring the ADC’s success in the forthcoming governorship election.

Posted on Leave a comment

APC Screening Report for Fubara Still Pending, Says Bashiru

APC Screening Report for Fubara Still Pending, Says Bashiru

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has not yet released an official report regarding the screening of Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara, according to the party’s National Secretary, Ajibola Bashiru. Speaking to journalists on Sunday, Bashiru clarified that appearing before the screening committee is a standard procedural step, and the committee will only publish its findings after meeting with all required individuals.

Bashiru emphasized that no definitive conclusions should be drawn at this stage, as the screening process is still ongoing. He stated, “I don’t know what you mean by screening. It appears that anybody that appears before the APC screening committee, of course, it is necessary as part of the process.”

He further explained that once the committee has completed its interactions with all expected participants, a comprehensive report will be compiled and released. “After appearing before the screening committee, the screening committee will issue its report. As at now, when it has seen everyone it is supposed to see, we will now sit down and come up with the report of the screening committee,” Bashiru said.

Bashiru’s remarks come amid growing speculation about Fubara’s political alignment ahead of the 2027 elections. The APC National Secretary urged the public to wait for the official report before making any judgments. “As at now, there is no report of screening,” he reiterated.

Posted on Leave a comment

Victor Umeh explains why NDC selected South for 2027 presidency

Victor Umeh explains why NDC selected South for 2027 presidency

Senator Victor Umeh, who represents Anambra Central, has clarified the rationale behind the Nigerian Democratic Congress (NDC) decision to zone its presidential ticket to the Southern region for the 2027 elections.

In an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Umeh stated that the move aims to fulfill the remaining four years of the eight-year presidential term allocated to the South. He emphasized that the NDC acted prudently by embracing zoning, a principle that promotes balance and equity in Nigerian politics.

According to Umeh, the failure of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) to implement zoning contributed to the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) loss in the 2023 election. He criticized the ADC for repeating what he called a costly mistake, despite efforts to foster unity.

Umeh further argued that any serious contender must recognize the South’s entitlement to two terms of four years each. He noted that challenging the Southern bloc in the upcoming election would be futile, given the region’s legitimate claim to complete its eight-year tenure. The NDC, he said, has demonstrated political maturity by making a strategic decision that aligns with fairness and electoral success.

Posted on Leave a comment

Shehu Sani Reveals Why He Will Return to Senate in 2027

Shehu Sani Reveals Why He Will Return to Senate in 2027

Former Kaduna Central Senator, Shehu Sani, has declared his intention to run for the Senate again in 2027, stating that the law permits unlimited term in the National Assembly. He made this known during an interview on Channels Television’s ‘Sunday Politics’ programme.

Sani explained that the constitution does not impose term limits on senators or members of the House of Representatives, so he is free to contest again. He also noted that his constituents believe he still has much to offer and that he has a responsibility to continue representing their interests effectively.

The former lawmaker lamented that Nigerians often pay more attention to who becomes president than who represents them in the legislature at both state and federal levels. He emphasized that this attitude is detrimental to democracy.

According to Sani, a vibrant and independent Senate is crucial for good governance. He argued that when lawmakers maintain their integrity and independence, they can ensure better accountability and oversight in the country.

Posted on Leave a comment

Lagos Government Refutes Claims of 14-Year-Old’s Unlawful Detention in Viral Video

Lagos Government Refutes Claims of 14-Year-Old's Unlawful Detention in Viral Video

The Lagos State Government has officially responded to a viral social media video alleging the illegal arrest and detention of a 14-year-old boy at Kirikiri Prison. In a statement from the Office of the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, authorities described the claims as false and engineered to sway public opinion.

According to the government, the individual in question is not 14-year-old Michael Adekunle, but rather Michael Adebiyi, who was 18 years old at the time of his arrest in 2022. Adebiyi was taken into custody alongside Adedeji Kabiru and Adekunle Waris on suspicion of armed robbery.

The Attorney-General, Lawal Pedro, clarified that the Directorate of Public Prosecutions received the case file in January 2023 and promptly issued legal advice, establishing a prima facie case against Adebiyi and Kabiru for conspiracy and armed robbery under Lagos State law. Waris was released due to lack of evidence.

Charges were filed at the Lagos State High Court in May 2023, and the trial has proceeded under Justice H.O. Oshodi. The prosecution has already closed its case, and the defense recently filed a no-case submission, which is pending hearing.

Addressing the age discrepancy, the government emphasized that both the suspect’s statement and official records consistently show the name Michael Adebiyi and age 18. It noted that neither the defendant nor his lawyers raised any objections about identity or age during court proceedings. The government urged the public to disregard the viral video, calling it a deliberate attempt to garner sympathy for the accused.

Posted on Leave a comment

Navy Seizes 1,600 Liters of Illegal Diesel in Rivers Forest Raid

Navy Seizes 1,600 Liters of Illegal Diesel in Rivers Forest Raid

In a decisive move against oil theft, the Nigerian Navy has announced the recovery of approximately 1,600 liters of suspected illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) during a targeted operation in Rivers State. The operation, conducted under the banner of Operation Delta Sentinel, underscores the Navy’s relentless campaign to curb illegal refining and economic sabotage in the region.

According to a statement by Captain A. Folorunsho, Director of Naval Information, personnel from the Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Soroh acted on credible intelligence about the storage of illegal petroleum products in the Okolomade Community, located within the Abua-Odual Local Government Area of Rivers State, bordering Bayelsa State’s Ogbia LGA.

The Anti-Crude Oil Theft (Anti-COT) team swiftly deployed to the Orashi Forest, where aerial surveillance via an unmanned system revealed sacks hidden under grass. A thorough search yielded 16 sacks, each containing about 100 liters, totaling 1,600 liters of what is believed to be illegally refined AGO.

“The suspects fled on sighting the naval personnel, and no arrests were made. The recovered items were evacuated and handled per standard protocols,” the statement explained.

The Nigerian Navy reaffirmed its commitment to dismantling illegal refining networks and ensuring that economic saboteurs find no safe haven in the nation’s waterways and creeks. Operation Delta Sentinel continues to intensify efforts to protect Nigeria’s maritime resources.